This is a collection of my favorite recipes. This blog is mainly for me. I wanted a place to keep all my recipes where I could pull up the recipe where ever I may be from my phone or computer. These are recipes I have TRIED and LOVED. I have a LONG waiting list of recipes I want to try that I hope to add soon. I have collected these recipes over the years and unfortuantely do not remember where I got all of them. If I know the source I have given credit where credit is due. If you stumble across my blog and find YOUR recipe, please let me know and I will give you the credit!

Corn and Tomato Tart


From JoAnn Williams

Ingredients

4 Cups low sodium chicken stock
1 pound of Bacon cooked crispy and broken into small pieces
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup Polenta (corn meal)
2 Tbsp butter (or bacon fat or other oil of your choice)
3 medium sized cobs corn (or the equivalent amount of frozen corn)
1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated fine
2 Tbsp butter
2 cups ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese) drained VERY well
2 Large eggs
1 1/2 lb. Heirloom tomatoes (about 2 large tomatoes), sliced (about 1/4" thick)
Sea salt to taste
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Rosemary, oregano, marjoram, crushed red peppers, and extra parmesan to sprinkle on top.
Instructions

Preheat Oven to 400
Prepare the bacon
Cut the corn kernels off the cobs.
Melt the butter (or your choice of fat) and toss in the corn. Cook with the chili powder, garlic, rosemary, and oregano until the corn is slightly caramelized and smelling yummy.
Mix the bacon into the corn and set aside.
Mix the drained Ricotta (or cottage cheese) with the two well beaten eggs, salt, and pepper, and set aside
Bring the broth to a boil.
In a steady stream slowly pour in the cornmeal continuously whisking.
Bring back up to a boil then reduce to a low simmer stirring OFTEN for 30-40 minutes.
When the polenta is done stir in the parmesan cheese and the corn/bacon mixture.
Pour the polenta into a greased 9" glass pie pan.
Gently push into the center and raise the polenta up the sides of the pie dish. (the polenta should cover the whole dish but have a deep enough well to hold the ricotta and have some "crust" around the edge)
Pour the ricotta mixture into the well, spreading to about 1 inch from the edge so that a polenta crust is left.
Top the tart with slices of tomato- use all the different colors to make it pretty and give variety of flavor
Sprinkle with sea salt, parmesan cheese, herbs, and crushed red peppers
Bake for about 60 minutes
Allow it to cool and set for 15-20 minutes.
Notes

The polenta bakes up firm and makes a fabulous crust but do NOT skimp on the wait time (no matter how yummy it smells) or you will get runny tart.

No comments:

Post a Comment